Back to Results
Director of Development & Community Relations
Description: This position provides leadership in the area of donor development, other fund raising and community relations in addition to management of the donor development staff. Primary responsibilities include development (fundraising, special events, operating revenue, campaigns, major and deferred gifts), as well as community and church relations.
1. Provide leadership, strategic direction and administration oversight for Development and Community Relations Department.
2. Give leadership in creating, maintaining and coordinating development strategies designed to support the Mission’s short and long term financial goals.
3. Develop and produce programs for promoting public awareness, public relations and improved visibility of the GNRM.
4. Participates in direct fund raising activities with local businesses and individuals.
5. Manages annual gifts cycle of all donors including the engagement and cultivation of the Mission’s new and existing major donors and prospects, and retention and migration strategies.
6. Develop and implement an effective church relations effort in coordination with the CAO and Executive Director. This includes identifying strategic church relationships, speaking opportunities and promoting mentors from the church membership.
7. Raise funds for capital and special projects, Mission programs, scholarships, and endowments in accordance with the GNRM vision and annual fundraising goals.
8. Develop and implement an effective communication and cultivation program for—Prospective Donors, Existing Donors, Alumni/Parent Relations (for fund raising purposes), Pastors/Church Relations, Professional Community (lawyers, accountants, trust officers, financial planners, and brokers).
9. Manages the grants program, including work related to grant writing and reports, proposal development and submission, relationship building, and the timely submission of grant proposals to private and public foundations, government grant makers, and corporations.
10. Oversees communications including newsletters, literature, website, and media advertising.
11. Oversees direct mail campaigns and coordinates seasonal donor acquisition.
12. Coordinate the processing of gifts in cooperation with the CAO and Controller; especially those requiring further action such as named endowments, planned gifts, and non-cash gifts.
13. Maintain open communication and work closely with the Mission CAO and Controller relating to all areas of gift processing, grants and accounting.
14. Attend meetings and prepare reports for the Board of Directors monthly and as requested.
15. Participate in and provide leadership to the Donor Development sub-committee.
16. Submits annual budget that integrates all elements of the Mission’s fundraising programs and makes accurate assumptions about short and long-term income and expenses.
17. Maintains open communication with the CAO and department heads regarding donor and fund raising activities which directly affect the respective areas while following the proper flow of the organizational structure.
18. Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Must have a committed personal relationship with Jesus Christ and belong to a Christian body of believers.
• Demonstrates appropriate behaviors and character traits of a Christian
• A demonstrated passion for ministry, advocacy and issues surrounding homelessness and poverty.
• Agrees with and can sign the Good News Rescue Missions Statement of Faith, Statement on Marriage and be able to share that faith and knowledge with staff and clients.
• Bachelor degree and a minimum of 5 years experience in development/fundraising, within a non-profit human service organization are preferred. An equivalent of combined formal education and career experience at a non-profit human service organization may be considered.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
• Team player focused on the overall success of the organization.
• Experience developing strategy and goals in relation to development.
• Excellent organizational and coordinating skills.
• Knowledge of development practices.
• Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
• Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
• Knowledge of computerized information systems used in donor management in addition to Microsoft Office products.
• Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management.
• Ability to build and maintain a direct relationship with community leaders and donors who can translate the needs of the Mission to gain support.
• Able to support the Good News Rescue Missions statement of Christian faith and share that faith and knowledge with staff and clients.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Pleasant working environment; maybe exposed to cold occasionally. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Employee may come into contact with irate and irrational clients who may or may not be under the influence of mind-altering substances such as cocaine, marijuana, alcohol, etc., or be mentally or physically disabled. Employee may be regularly exposed to some risk of communicable disease from guests of facility, exposure to TB and other respiratory diseases.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and regularly required to sit, manual dexterity necessary in using hands to finger, handle, feel, type on
computer keyboard. The employee required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds up stairs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, color vision, depth perception and peripheral vision. The employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as viewing a computer terminal. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Drug and nicotine test
• Clean DMV
• Must be insurable through GNRM’s auto insurance provider
4/7/2017 5:54:28 PM